Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Right To Smoke

Well, this has become a hot button topic in my world, mainly because Kansas City has banned smoking in bars and restauraunts. Now, while I can see where the health advocates are coming from on this, I must whole heartedly disagree with them on this.

There is a major reason for this. It sets a dangerous precedent. You may be asking me what I mean by this, I have a few examples. For example, in Golden, Colorado, it has recently become illegal to smoke in private residences by order of the Home Owner's Association. In Ontario, it is illegal to smoke in a car if there are children present. And in Britain, there is currently a debate over wether or not to ban smoking period without a liscence from the government.

So, what is the future of the united states in general if we ban smoking in public places? We have already banned it is public establishments, so what is next? I say, be careful people, because every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Cause and effect.

And thus, you have to be careful as to how you vote, because every action, every theory, has a logical conclusion, and that logical conclusion is usually considered extreme at the time, though with 20/20 hindsight it all makes so much sense.

No comments: